Tuesday, March 31, 2009

March Blog #7: Brisingr, Christopher Paolini, published 2008

Brisingr is an odd book. The first time I read it, I was constantly finding fault with it, yet it was incredibly difficult to put down. I zoomed by it's 800 pages in 3 or 4 days. That's quite a few pages a day!

I am finding upon my second read through that it is simply too hard to read. The chapters where it takes the perspective of a dragon are absolutely ridiculous. The speaker takes on this dumb sounding voice with far too many adjectives, naming things along the lines of "brown-fur-good-meat deer" and "burns-real-bad fire" (I made that last one up).

The story also has some pacing issues, I've hit the 450 page area and it is just sooo slow, to the point of insanity. I suppose I'll have to suck it up and keep reading, but this is just plain difficult.

1 comment:

  1. 5/6 entries for 3/31/09

    Your first entry about FD was absolutely fabulous! Great, thoughtful writing.

    29 and 30th, both sound about the same. Do you think that one reason you find the style dry is that FD must prove that he's absolutely educated -- he can't make any mistakes?

    ReplyDelete