Thursday, March 26, 2009

March Blog #4: "The Machine Stops," by E.M. Forrster, published 1909

The Machine Stops is as relevant today as it was 100 years ago. At the risk of sounding a bit cliche, this is an epic of mountainous proportions. It is something special, and it has inspired countless science fiction titles.

I was truly amazed when I finished this short story. It is something special indeed. The themes resonate within me as I explore the dark and foreboding future painted in this story. Machines taking over the human race? No, it couldn't be!

Alright, enough with this sensationalized voice. Yes, I enjoyed the story a lot. The only problem it left for me was I wanted to figure out exactly what had become of the humans on the surface.

But I suppose that is one of the questions meant to be left unanswered. We don't really know where humanity is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment