Sunday, March 29, 2009

March Blog #5: Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass (an autobiography), originally published 1997, newest version (w/ afterword) published 2005

Frederick Douglass uses a choppy style of dialect with a somewhat sophisticated undertone. He doesn't drop humongous words, but he doesn't litter his chapters with "ain't" and the like. By choppy I mean he uses a lot of periods, and doesn't use many compound or complex sentences. He also tends to use a lot of descriptions involving something relative to something else, and this often requires a bit of prior knowledge. Like so...

Frederick Douglass is a very smart man. He is an author with a strange style, but I don't know if I adore it much. His book is somewhere in between Lamb and the Bartimeaus trilogy for me. I'm more into fantasy and science fiction, so this book isn't really my style. He was obviously very intelligent, though, and I respect him for writing this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment