Tuesday, March 3, 2009

March Blog #2: Lamb, by Christopher Moore, published 2002

I just completed the book.

And it was an interesting book. It started off as one of the more entertaining books I've read, and the idea for the story is absolutely fantastic.

But, and this became more and more apparent as I read, it simply does not live up to it's potential. It's funny, sure, and gripping, at times, but I have this nagging feeling that if it was split into a trilogy, where the first book focused on his early life, the second book on his training as a monk and what not, and the third the conclusion of the story of Jesus, then it would have been so much better. Moore proves that he is a talented author, and the end of the book (with Josh nailed to a cross) could have been so much more emotionally stirring. His description of the Yeti can be so heartbreaking, and I feel he could have turned the ending into so much more.

Anyway, I guess that's just my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. 4/6 entries for 3/10/09.

    Interesting--I was sobbing at the end. It was such a beautiful telling of a friendship, and I absolutely felt Biff's pain and was touched by his loyalty to his friend. I'll have to reread it to see if I see what you saw (see-saw, ha, ha).

    Do you think the rush was Moore putting the readers into the position of the clueless disciples and the relative rush of the last months of Joshua's/Jesus's life?

    ReplyDelete