Tuesday, August 11, 2009

August Blog #1: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, by J. K. Rowling, published 2003

Page: 383

I think the reason that I didn't read Harry Potter as a child was because I didn't like the movies. That, or I was just trying to be a nonconformist. I spent my elementary school years tackling The Lord of the Rings (because the movies are awesome), and believe me, that was not a fun reading experience at that age.

The Half-Blood Prince film won me over, it was pretty good, and the Harry Potter novels are very fun. Rowling has a fun voice, the story has fun characters (except for Malfoy, he's stayed exactly the same for all 5 novels so far), and Hogwarts is a fun setting. The novels really picked up once I started The Prisoner of Azkaban (the first two were too similar for my liking), and they haven't looked back.

The Order of the Phoenix has something to live up to, because I thought The Goblet of Fire was the best in the series so far (the movie was the worst one so far, however, which means it was pretty bad). The book is a little slow as of now, but the Goblet of Fire was slow as well, it just finished spectacularly. TOotP is also a more mature novel than the other ones, with darker undertones.

I can feel the story beginning to pick up, and look forward to continuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment