Tuesday, May 19, 2009

May Blog #6: When Zachary Beaver Came to Town, by Kimberly Willis Holt, published 2001

Luckily, that was a short book. But it was actually really good.

Holt has crafted quite the tale here, and the story is certainly a tear jerker. I won't spoil too much, because I think you should read it, but the climax is great. One person dies, and the entire city breaks down.

Zachary Beaver is really easy to root for, too, and the final few pages of the book are incredibly descriptive and, strangely, have an "epic" feel to them. I highly recommend the book.

1 comment:

  1. 6/6 entries for 5/19/09

    Maybe now you'll listen to Mom's book recommendations!

    Have you read Andromeda Strain (spelling?)? I believe that's the MC book that my friends said was his very best.

    Happy reading this summer--I hope that you get lots of chances to explore your reading interests....in addition to summer reading :-)

    ReplyDelete