Thursday, April 30, 2009

April Blog #5: Ender's Shadow, by Orson Scott Card, published 1999

I have just completed Ender's Shadow, and yes it lived up to my rather lofty expectations.

One of the more compelling parts about this book is how much more Card developed the characters. Ender always had a personality, but everyone else seemed more like robots. Really smart robots.

But in Ender's Shadow, Card does a good job of making them all different people, even though Bean might as well be a robot. You feel for Ender as he begins to go crazy, and you can't stand Achilles any more than Bean can.

This novel, and it's parallel, are truly special books, and I would recommend them to anyone and everyone who enjoys any semblance of action or science fiction.

2 comments:

  1. 6/6 for 4/29/09--good job!

    I'm glad you've found a book you love. Weren't there parts of FD that you realized were great writing, though? His address to the sails is painfully clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, the writing wasn't really ever bad, per se. It is just not really my style, but some of it was very good. I just found most of the writing rather dull.

    ReplyDelete