Sunday, November 22, 2009

November Blog #6: The Life of Pi, by Yann Martel, Published 2001

"I have a story that will make you believe in God." -Author's Note

As unlikely as that may be, The Life of Pi is an enchanting story, at least to this point. Pi describes his life in India, which all comes across as rather boring and ordinary. He begins comparing zoology with religion in an unnaturally sophisticated matter for someone so young, and then his Dad decides to move the zoo (oh yeah, his Dad owns a zoo).

Unfortunately, the boat sinks, and that's when Pi is forced to share a boat with Richard Parker, a tiger. And the book gets even better.

There is a lot of symbolism in this novel, and a lot of rather beautiful descriptions. I can't decide if this book is a tad too preachy for me or not, but it certainly is enjoyable. My Mom told me it gets a little wacked out towards the end, and has a bunch of religious references.

No comments:

Post a Comment